top of page
Search

Thoughts On Aging

As we age, our approach to skin care may start to look different. With the aging process there are two different types: intrinsic and extrinsic aging.


Extrinsic Aging - This type of aging is called by external factors like sun exposure, climate, lifestyle (diet, drinking, smoking, stress etc).

Intrinsic Aging - This is the body's natural aging process.




80% of the aging that we see on our skin is caused by external factors. The other 20% is caused by our bodies own natural aging process and degeneration of collagen and elastin cells. What does this mean? The best thing that you can do to age gracefully is live a healthy lifestyle, eat a good diet, drink water, and apply your sunscreen. Seriously! This will do more for you than skincare products will!


That being said, we can use skincare products as a tool to help the skin along as we age. Not all skincare products are the same! I wanted to take a moment and share some thoughts I have on how to approach the aging process...


  1. High End Products Does Not Equal Better - Expensive is not better. I will shout this again and again. Many times, you are paying for good marketing and brand names rather than efficacy. Look at the ingredients in your products and concentration of those active ingredients. For anti-aging look for ingredients like: Retinoids (Vitamin A), Niacinamide, Antioxidants (like Vitamin C/Bakuchiol).

  2. Products Don't Provide Instant Results - In general most products need to be used for 6 weeks before changes can be seen in the skin. For aging concerns, consistent use of products is KEY. I professionally recommend using anti-aging products for a minimum of 2-3 months before you make the determination if it is working for you or not.

  3. You Do Not Need to Use A Ton Of Products - Too many products or active ingredients can irritate and overly dry out your skin.

  4. Get Regular Facial Treatments - Working with a Licensed Esthetician and getting a facial treatment every 4-6 weeks will help the skin care products you are using at home work more efficiently.

I hope these few points were helpful. In summary I think my biggest advice for the natural aging process is to be proactive rather than reactive and start NOW using anti-aging ingredients and getting regular facial treatments from an esthetician. Never too old or young to begin. Together you and your esthetician will able to nourish the skin as it goes through each season of your life.


As always if you have any questions please reach out to me via email at guidedcompass@gmail.com or call my office at 330-442-5695.



In Health,

Michal

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page